I’ve been spending some time lately putting together some how-to documentation for various tasks the Fedora design team does on a regular basis.
This is a how-to on how to create graphics for a Fedora spin. During a recent design ticket review we noticed a few requests for spin graphics, and there seemed to be some confusion on how to create them. Hopefully this guide helps.
There’s three main graphics you’ll need to create a page for your spin at spins.fedoraproject.org. What you’ll need before you start creating these graphics:
Things you need to get from the spin maintainer
- The abbreviated version of the spin’s name. This should be used in the name of the graphics files for your spin. For example, the ‘Fedora Electronic Lab’ has an abbreviated name of ‘Electronic-lab’, so:
- It is listed as ‘Electronic-Lab’ in the spins directory on the front page of http://spins.fedoraproject.org
- Its mini graphic is named: electronic-lab-mini.png
- Its feature graphic is named: electronic-lab-feature.png
- Its tagline graphic is named: electronic-lab-tagline.png
- A tagline for the spin. Here’s some examples from current spins (shorter is better!):
- KDE: “Be free.”
- LXDE: “Your desktop, light as air.”
- ‘FCE: “Speed up your desktop.”
- Electronic Lab: “An advanced electronic design and simulation platform for micro-nano electronics engineering.”
- Design Suite: “Open creativity.”